Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Module 3: Living in a Technological World (LSSL 5391)


Living in a Technological World

Students versus Teachers

                I can fully attest to the fact that my students, seventh graders, have far different views on technology than I do. Students seem to only want to use technology for social purposes, rather than the millions of other ways that could support them emotionally, physically, and mentally.

                I understand there is a time and place for technology, but there is also a time and a place where a student needs to be able to do something as basic as looking up a word in the dictionary. When a student asks me to use their phone to Google a word, I have to tell them a short story about how Google isn’t always the know it all. I have them think about the historical Great Depression and the crash of the stock market in 1929. When I explain to them by typing “depression” into Google that they are not going to receive information on the industrialized world of the past, but rather a mood disorder and the reasons for it.

                It baffles me how different our views are in so many ways. When I play a game on my phone, it is normally centered around something with words or a way to challenge my mind: crossword puzzles from the New York Times, Bookworm, or others of that type. My students finish an assignment and want to play Crazy Eights or group pool, neither of which require more than ten brain cells at any point in time. While David Krathwohl and Lorin Anderson, the creators of the modernized Bloom’s Taxonomy, were right to change the nouns to verbs, I do not fully agree that create should be the main cogwheel of the six features. Students are not creating anymore, rather they are following pre-made games, applications, or assignments, while using the other five portions of the pyramid sparingly.

                Let me explain. I work in a district where we are limited on funds for extra technology in the school, let alone some of my students don’t even have internet at home. We are in a half and half, where half of my students have access to anything technological they could ever need and some do not have the slightest idea how to use a computer or iPhone. With that being said, use of technology in the classrooms at my school can be more of a hassle than a helper. While I completely agree with Anderson and Krathwohl’s idea that creating is part of the higher order thinking skills, it is sad to see some school districts and schools that are struggling with technology even in the lower order thinking skills department. I am expected to use technology in the classroom, while incorporating Bloom’s, but I am not given the tools.  

When I turn calming, classical music on in class, their immediate response is to ask if they can take out their Air Pods and listen to their own “good” music because what I have on is not acceptable. At one point in time, I even tried a mini experiment. Guardians of the Galaxy, a well-known movie seen by most of my students, has an amazing soundtrack to it. Without prompting them to what I was going to play throughout the class that day, I had numerous complaints about how this is for “old people” and no one listens to it any more. After a song or two, a student would speak up, wide-eyed by saying that they recognized a song from somewhere. That’s when the listening really kicked in, and, low and behold, they figured out it was from one of their favorite movies. The problem is, they are so stuck in their own little world, that they do not try to even accept what is new or different to them. Creativity is not so creative any more.

                The worst part about technology in the classroom, for me, is that students have this undying need to have their phone in their hands or pockets, as if it is going to magically disappear and never been seen again. I have a plastic shoe rack from The Container Store where my students place their phones in at the beginning of class. In the beginning of the year, it was pulling teeth and nails with them to get them to replace their phones with a pencil and dictionary. Once the routine was ingrained in their head, it became much easier.

Generational Gap

                The biggest difference in students nowadays and when I was a student was what was at our fingertips. Yes, I had a cell phone, but it was made for one thing only, to make calls. All six or so of my numbers (three of which were family members), were to be used for emergencies. I had a phone in middle school. The middle school students nowadays have a computer in their pocket. And, instead of using this computer to benefit them, they use it to goof off or work their way around the system. 

                I teach in the same district as I attended, Fort Bend ISD, and have seen a drastic change in the way things have evolved over the years. We were never allowed to have our phones with us, but we also had full access to computer labs. At my current school, all computers have been taken away (almost 50), and they have left us with laptops that work only a portion of the time and an iPad cart that is always checked out. There is no schedule as to who can check out what or how often they can check it out, basically leaving it as a first come first serve, and most of us get left in the dust. 

                Now, don’t get me wrong, I have seen my students do some pretty incredible things on their phones, but when it comes to a computer, it may be one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed. I remember being four or five years old and asking my parents to “type” on the computer. I did nothing more than hit the keyboard keys over and over again in a Word document, but it was the beginning of an application that I would be using for the rest of my life. My students didn’t know how to indent, without pressing the space bar over and over again, and some did not know how to even save a document. Their excuse? My phone automatically saves everything for me.

                Understanding is different than remembering. To remember, one must understand, and with that, students must apply their knowledge in one way or another. If given the chance, I would teach everything from the start, without any technology, and then move onto a program to help evaluate where the student is then at. 

Reframing Technology in the Classroom

                To me, Bloom’s has always had the right message, but after seeing the revised version, I gravitated and tended to grasp it a little better than the outdated noun version. I particularly liked the Bloom’s revised digital taxonomy map, in Churches’ article, and the use of multiple, descriptive terms for each of the six steps in the pyramid (Churches, 2008, page  5). While many would just be considered synonyms, sometimes that is all one needs to better understand what needs to be done to teach someone something.

                In all of our professional development courses, we are introduced to new words, acronyms, and ways of assessing information, but it all comes back to one single idea, Bloom’s. Out of all of the visual representations I have seen, the Bloom’s revised digital taxonomy map hits the nail right on the head. As stated in Churches’ article, “learning can start at any point” (Churches, 2008, page 4), not all students have to begin from the same step in the ladder. I think, as people, we forget that we have more gifted students than others and that they can pop in and turn some of the cogwheels for others, in place of educators, at times. Simply put, some students learn better from peers, some learn better from educators, some learn better from technology, and some learn best from all of the above.

                When a child sees that they are not the only one with a specific learning style, they immediately become more comfortable in the classroom when they can properly use their style with the permission of the teacher. I have had to cross a few boundaries and try new things over my years of teaching, but I have found that when you let a child be creative and cross into unchartered territory, the results are usually amazing.

Since working in my current school for the last four years, I have had mixed feelings on technology in the classroom, specifically because of the reasons listed above. I find it hard to integrate in because of lack of funds, equipment, and items necessary to create said applications or games for students to use. These articles have truly opened my eyes on how to use technology in a meaningful way, even if there isn’t a tablet or computer in every child’s hand.

App of Choice

                At my school, in particular, I know that when we introduce a new application or program into our school, it is a district wide initiative that pays for every school to have it. This has its perks but it also has its downfalls. If every school has an application, all of the students and educators become engaged and comfortable with it, but then everyone is using the same application without any of their own creativity put into it.

                If I were to go out on my own and request the use of a new application, I would start by gathering as much information about the app as possible. I would list the pros and cons, compare it to other similar apps, and describe why I chose that one over the others. I would ask my principal if I could test the app with a few teachers volunteers before moving onto a larger crowd. If the app was successful with my tester group, I would then speak with my principal again about integrating the app into the library itself, on a much larger scale. 

                What I love about my district is how open they are to integrating new ideas into the work place. If my principal was unsure of the idea, I would seek the opinion of employees at other schools or higher management, all without overstepping any boundaries. It is always best to ask around and see what others have found effective, making this extra research to present to your principal. 

                The best way to go about asking for something new is to be honest, show all of the facts, and come at it with confidence and a smile. If you were hired for the job, it was done for a reason, and educators need to be able to express their opinion on when things are working or when they can be tweaked.

Technological Foundation

                After all is said and done, technology is not going away. In fact, soon enough, I can see every child being outfitted with a computer or tablet of their own instead of using pen and paper. While I see nothing wrong with that, we, as educators, need to be able to stay ahead of the game and move in that direction as well. If you look around the world today, there are kids who are two and under who can work an iPad better than my grandmother can. However, that is the generational gap, as well as the way that one learned at a period of time. If we hold back technology in the classroom or library now, we are setting up our students for disaster because of the sole fact that we are not going to regress from technology any time soon.

The Future is in Librarian’s Hands

                Libraries will never go away, whether they be a tangible building, an archive in the basement of a destroyed building, or if it becomes solely based online. Everyone needs a form of information that is easy to access and well known by an individual, a librarian. Librarians are the keys that unlock the students’ minds. Without a librarian, people of all ages would be lost in a world of unlimited information. A librarian is important for those reasons and so many more. While, hopefully not any time soon, I can see tangible libraries becoming less and less popular, we will still need people to guide us. Librarians need to be up to date with technology and applications just as much, if not more so, than the general public if they are going to keep up with the ever changing world around them. Libraries will never go away, but the way information is projected will change.

Bibliography
1. Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy Website & Video
Puentedura, R. (2017, August 30). Bloom's Digital Taxonomy. Retrieved June 10, 2019, from https://www.commonsense.org/education/videos/blooms-digital-taxonomy
2. Dr. Ruben Puentedura’s Blog Post
Puentedura, R. (2014, September, 24). SAMR and Bloom’s Taxonomy: Assembling the Puzzle. Retrieved from https://www.commonsense.org/education/articles/samr-and-blooms-taxonomy-assembling-the-puzzle
3. Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy- Churches
Edorigami (2008, March 18). Bloom’s and ICT tools. Available October 2008, from http://edorigami.wikispaces.com/Bloom's+and+ICT+tools
4. Kathy Schrock’s Guide to Everything
Schrock, K. (2011, July, 10). Bloomin’ Apps. Retrieved from https://www.schrockguide.net/bloomin-apps.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Children's Books to Encourage Racial Awareness

How do we teach children about racial awareness? How do we etch the foundations of equality in such little minds and hearts? ...