Friday, July 19, 2019

Module 13: Final Reflection (LSSL 5391)


Module 13

Final Reflection of the Class


LSSL 5391 with Dr. Elizabeth Gross





                Wait, y’all, is it really the end of the semester already?! Wow, this has gone by so fast! And, hey, I’m not looking or bonus points or, what do the kids say nowadays, clout or an “A”.. but, can anyone else agree that this was one of the most informative and interesting classes they have taken yet? I’m serious when I say that this class has been more than I could have imagined in the information that I am taking away from it.

                This course was not hard for me as I enjoy technology and have always been good at it. This course did challenge me though. There were so many websites and applications that I had never used, let alone heard of, that I had to involve myself with, and learning each new one did come as a challenge at times. The biggest challenge now is going to have to go through and unsubscribe from all the newsletters!

                The best way for me to give you all the information I can come up with is to take it module by module, so join me as I break it down and share my pros and cons of the websites, programs, and applications used within this course. I may not hit every single one from the course, but feel free to check out my other individual blog posts for further information and details!



Digital Storytelling


                Okay, come on, Dr. Gross, I thought I had finally found all of the coolest, latest programs to use, and then you slap me in the face with thirty different tools (https://www.techlearning.com/tl-advisor-blog/30-sites-and-apps-for-digital-storytelling)!? Touché. It took me foreverrrr to figure out what program I wanted to use for the final presentation. I would enter a site, create an account (because it is so easy now with a one step log in using your Google or Facebook account), and then play around for a few minutes before thinking of a way I could use that program in the classroom. Next up! And, then repeat. This went on for, no joke, a few hours, but in the end, I chose VoiceThread. Check it out below… enjoy!
 


VoiceThread
A Final Reflection Through Storytelling









Blogs & RSS Blog Readers

I am not new to blogs in the slightest. I have had a Blogger account for years and a Wordpress account for a few years now, one for graduate work and one for personal (you can figure out which is which), and each of the sites have their pros and cons to them. For instance, I don’t pay for Blogger but to get all of the features I like, I pay Wordpress annually. Wordpress, when done well, comes off as much more professional and looks cleaner in a sense. Blogger, on the other hand, is a get in and get out type blog that allows you to get the work done without tons of thrills and frills. Don’t get me wrong, Blogger has some amazing features, but Wordpress is where it’s at.

I had no clue what a RSS reader was before this course. Feedly, my reader of choice, is free of charge, can be used on a computer or mobile device, and is super easy to navigate and learn. If I had to recommend a reader to anyone new, this is my go to choice. After looking at some of the other readers on my peers’ blogs, I was not upset that I didn’t choose another, rather I was impressed with how many different platforms there were.

Now that the module, and class, are over, I now have a plethora of blog posts and pages to look through for inspiration and information in the library! A few of us used the same blogs, but, overall, each one of us had five new blogs or websites to add our personal blogs. 







Social Media Platforms

                This was the one module that I finished in record time. Why? Because it is what I do in my spare time.. scroll and search. I have had a Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for years, with Facebook being the longest. I have always enjoyed Facebook because I travel often. After a trip is coming to an end or if I run into someone I never wanted to lose contact with, we would exchange Facebook names and keep up with one another. Sadly, I only have a Facebook still for that reason. Facebook isn’t something I frequent as often. While I think it is a good platform for some things, I do not think the majority of people have a Facebook nor do they use it for “pages”. When I go to Facebook, I am checking for birthdays and anything an old friend, travel buddy, or family member has posted. The harsh reality is, most of what is posted on Facebook has already been posted on Instagram. 

                I am a huge fan of Instagram for many reasons. Instagram gives you the ability to post one or multiple photos, tag individual photos with unlimited tags, additions of hashtags to promote posts or find others like it, as well as being able to set a location, and create a comment to your length’s desire. Instagram is a one-stop shop for anything and everything you need. A picture or video is at the tip of your fingers, all while allowing you to read the comment, swipe to the next one, add your own comment, and connect with others around you.

I did end up making a personal Instagram for this class, but I want to incorporate it into my ELA class all while adding information from my graduate classes. I want my students to see that the two go hand in hand, no matter how old you get or what you are learning. I initially thought I would delete the account, but I think it will stay around a bit longer. I want to start using Instagram in the classroom as a means for reminders, quick tips, and information for students and parents alike. Instagram is the platform that, I personally believe, is used most by individuals ages twelve to thirty. I guarantee you that more than half the people in the room right now have an Instagram and check it at least twice a day. If I can get my students to check out my Instagram page at least once a week I would be happy!

                Twitter is another front-runner for the social media platforms. Twitter is used widely in my district as a means for conveying information to a large-scale audience. Both adults and students alike have a Twitter. I seemed to have noticed that the younger generation does not use Twitter as much as the twenty somethings and up do. Twitter is great in the quickness aspect because I know I am not going there to read a novel, though I have the choice if I want to open up the link that follows those two-hundred fifty characters. While Twitter would be great to use with students, I think parents would get more use out of it than them. When it comes to promoting library and classroom needs and wants, I would rather choose the platform that the majority have.

                I like the idea of Tumblr, but, to me, it is an old school Instagram. They do the exact same thing, but Tumblr has been around for much longer. If I didn’t want to post an item to my feed on Instagram, I could post it to my story, and they both are equally shared with my followers, just like Tumblr. While I wouldn’t think that it would be obsolete any time soon, I can see it becoming less and less popular over the years. 






Infographics

                Easelly was just that, easy. This program is my top choice when it comes to infographics. The program was easy from start to finish! The log in/account creation process was a breeze, finding graphics and fonts I liked was immediate, and the overall flow of the site was perfect. Plus, the fact that you can go from the free version to the pro version for only $4/month.. it’s hard to pass up. Some of the other inforgraphic sites want a kidney for you to be able to use a few extra graphics and fonts on their page. Piktochart wasn’t far behind, but there were just a few things that it didn’t have that Easelly gave you access to. While it is used by some of the head hanchos, it is one of those guys that wants your kidney for the pro version. Yeah, the perks are nice, but so is the free version of Easelly. Infogram was my least favorite simply because of the difficulty in use compared to the others. I don’t give up very easily, but when I started an infographic here, I had to stop part way through because the program was such a mess. All of the programs are easy to sign up for, give you about the same amount of fonts and graphics to sort through, and allow you to choose the template you are best suited for, but Easelly was easily the best.








Screencasts

                I’ll say it once and I’ll say it again, I LOVE screencasting! I had seen plenty of professional development demonstrations over this, but I never had the chance to play around and make my own. This was the most fun and exciting module when it came to utilizing something in the classroom/library for me! I cannot wait to incorporate this into the classroom and, soon enough, the library.

Hands down, Screencast-O-Matic did the job and did it well. I tried both that and Screen Recorder and fancied the first one best. I really wanted to try a few of the other options, but the thought of downloading a million different screencast platforms didn’t sit well with me. I find it difficult to choose a downloadable program that does the same thing an online program does, simply because of the sheer amount of storage it takes up on a computer.




Comics & Cartoons

                This was my least favorite module, if I really had to choose. I honestly cannot tell you the last time I actually sat down and read a comic. A graphic novel, yes. A comic, not so much. I was hoping that was what the lesson was going to lead into, graphic novels, but I was surprised to see it stay. I consider myself a pretty creative person, but the platforms I chose didn’t always give me the wiggle room I wanted to be as creative as I wanted to be. I would much rather read a comic than create one.

                With all that aside, Pixton is my top choice for creating a comic. The site was easy to navigate, the backgrounds and characters were cohesive, and the program itself did most of the work. I really liked the fact that I got to create an avatar of myself though! This is definitely something students would enjoy creating! I will happily skip through the other comic applications because they did not impress me in the slightest. Out of all of the cartoon platforms I used and researched, I believe Pixton would be the most beneficial to students. 









Podcasts

                Podbean was my first platform to dabble with in creating podcasts. When it comes down to it, Podbean is the easiest, while most basic, of the platforms, and something I would have my students use for a first-time podcast. WeVideo was the second program I was introduced to, and I much preferred this over Podbean due to the many ways you can edit the podcast within the same application. I am just not really a podcast kind of girl, to be honest. I don’t really listen to them, unless forced, and it is for no purpose other than I prefer to read or watch a movie rather than listen to a voice that reminds me of a talk show host. This was another module that was difficult for me to complete due to the fact that podcasts don’t necessarily float my boat.
 






Videos & QR Codes

                Animoto was one of the most fun programs I used in this entire class. I try to promote books as much as I can in my classroom, but sometimes words aren’t enough. So, cue Animoto! Animoto allowed me to use my voice, still getting the point across, while adding in all kinds of fun graphics, songs, and features to spruce it up. Plus, I could make a whole list of them for the summer reading programs and students would have the chance to re-watch them and find out which book to read. In the past, I created PowerPoints to showcase the books on the summer reading list, and, while it worked, this is definitely the new path I see myself going towards in the future.

                YouTube is the best platform when it comes to finding videos for the library or classroom. There are so many educational sites mixed into silly cat videos and a simple how-to. YouTube has it all. The application/program is so versatile and allows you to open it up wherever you are. Computer, tablet, phone, Wi-Fi, or the use of data, YouTube is there in a snap to help you find fun ideas and inspiration for the library.

                QR readers.. ah, I was so hesitant of these at first. I would download the app and delete it over and over again throughout the past years, never knowing if I would actually use it or just have it because everyone else did. Personally, there was never really a time where I really needed a QR code reader, so I never had one full time. I will keep it for now and go forth knowing that the QR Reader application, from Apple, is available if needed.










THE FINAL VERDICT

The Best of the Best
Wordpress for blogging
Feedly for RSS readers
Instagram for wide scale audiences (younger & older generations)
Twitter for wide scale audiences (older generations)
Easelly for infographics
Piktochart for infographics
Pixton for comics
Tellagami for video comics
Screencast-O-Matic for screencasts
Podbean for Podcasts
WeVideo for podcasts with video editing capabilities

The Good, Not Great
Blogger by Google for blogging
Facebook pages for wide scale audiences (older generations)
Tumblr for wide scale audiences
MakeBeliefsComix for comics
Screen Recorder for screencasts
Spotify for podcasts

The Avoiders
Infogram for infographics
Toondoo for comics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Children's Books to Encourage Racial Awareness

How do we teach children about racial awareness? How do we etch the foundations of equality in such little minds and hearts? ...