Saturday, December 14, 2019

LSSL 5332- Journal Entry Post #3



LSSL 5332

Unit 2

Journal Entry #3

“The objective of this journal entry is for you to self-reflect about your own learning and your personal growth related to cataloging.
I want you to reflect about your own learning so far and think about the remaining weeks of the course. Compose an essay that captures your feelings and perspective about cataloging.  Consider the following- you don't need to answer each question individually but rather use these as a starting point and weave your answer around your response:
  • What background knowledge did you bring into the course and how has that helped you construct new knowledge?
  • What has surprised you most about cataloging?
  • How have you shaped your own learning to support personal growth?
  • What tools have been introduced in the course that help you acquire new cataloging skills?
  • Have you discovered issues related to cataloging that impact or influence student access to materials?
Identify and discuss at least 5 points that stand out most to you as you reflect back to the first week of the course in a thoughtful essay.”

Personal Growth

Coming into this course, I knew absolutely nothing about what to expect, what I needed to prepare myself for, or even what the course was about. I remember looking at the syllabus and immediately freaking out because it had so many items over the Dewey Decimal system, making subject headings, and going into a brand new computer-cataloging program, one that I’ve never heard of. Let’s just say, I started this course off scared.

I knew about the Dewey Decimal system. I knew that librarians put books on the shelves in special ways. I knew that elementary librarians tended to put little stickers on the spine to guide children in the right direction. I knew that the man or woman sitting behind the desk would be able to answer my questions. I did not know what that man or woman did on the computer though.

While I am good at computers and electronics, I am not so great at numbers and memorization. When it came to the MARC records, the program itself was easy for me to understand overall. When it came to putting in the specifics for the records is where I got a little stumped. It definitely took some practice, and it will definitely continue to take some practice to get used to. While I do not think I will personally use the cataloging system often, it is a good chunk of knowledge to have.

This course has been very different that my other courses. I have had to go to actual libraries, on more than one occasion, I have had to bother my librarian friends and colleagues more often, and I have had to expand my horizons when it comes to searching through Blackboard. I have not had a course where a teacher was so prepared with so many videos, audio recordings, readings, etc. Every course I have taken so far has been a sink or swim, making you learn it on your own simply by using the textbook. I have had to be diligent about watching, listening, reading, or finding the information on my own instead of having everything readily available in book form. In a way, I have had to become my own little librarian to make sure I received all the information I really needed.

I can see how cataloging could be a confusing thing for children. I can also see why they struggle so much with the Dewey Decimal and the information on the book’s spine. People keep talking about how, in the future, librarians won’t be necessary and everything is automatic and computerized these days. Sorry to break it to you, if random adults, let alone children, had to do anything even close to cataloging, there would be a disaster waiting to happen. Children can’t seem to even put a book back where they found it, let alone in a specialized way. The point of a librarian is to make sure it is catalogued correctly, so that one can find it in the correct spot, so that one can utilize the correct resource. Librarians are the correct way to go about the future.

It was difficult at first, it always is with something new. I found that the textbook had a great breakdown of all of the powerful pieces I needed to be aware of. For example, I bookmarked a few pages: Guidelines for Description and Access (5), Applications of Children’s Subject Headings and Subdivisions (15), and the Glossary of Abbreviations (205) to name a few. This book is not just something you would use once for the class and be done with, it is something that I can use throughout my internship and as I begin to transition into the library setting.

Besides the book, I wish there was a way I could export all of the videos, recordings, and links that were given to us in this course to have for reference. This was, easily, the most helpful course on so many levels. It took cataloging but amped it up, tying in all of my library courses. Some of the biggest points that stood out to me were how so many of us, in this course, were pretty much on the same page, the page of no knowledge of cataloging. It surprised me that we all came into this course with different ideas and expectations, and now we are starting to end the course with a whole new perspective on things. I think we all underestimated how much goes into cataloging.. I know I did!

Again, while i cannot say how often I will truly use the cataloging system, the information I have learned in this course will help guide me in setting up my library, determining where I want to group books, and have an overall idea of what to expect when I need to add information in for a new book that is delivered. I can't wait to put my knowledge into practice!



Teacher Comments:
 Molly,
Nice work on the reflective essay / journal entry 3. I think you've really grown over the semester and have excellent takeaways regarding cataloging and the importance of good cataloging. Good job!
Buffy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Children's Books to Encourage Racial Awareness

How do we teach children about racial awareness? How do we etch the foundations of equality in such little minds and hearts? ...